Sunday, July 12, 2015

Led By A Wounded Hand

Come, sit, and enjoy a cup of tea or coffee in the comfort of the Lord:  "Let all bitterness, and wrath, and anger, and clamour, and evil speaking be put away from you, with all malice."  Ephesians  4:31

                 ". . . he calleth his own sheep by name, and leadeth them out."  John  10:3

     How precious it is that God thinks of each one of us by name!  How assuring to know that the Good Shepherd Himself will ever lead us with His nail-scarred hand through the green pastures of spiritual blessing, up the blood-sprinkled way, until we reach the fold of God in the heights of Paradise.

     Recently there came to my desk the excellent little booklet,  "Hills of God,"  by Ruth Gibbs Zwall.  With her permission we quote her beautiful Parable of Tomorrow, which poetically describes this precious leading:

     "I looked at the mountain.  'It is too hard, Lord,'  I said,  'I cannot climb.'  'Take My hand,'  He whispered,  'I will be your strength.  'I saw the road.  'It is too long, Lord,'  I said:  "so rough and long.'  'Take my love,'  He answered,  'I will guard your feet.'  I looked at the sky.  'The sun is gone,'  I said,  'Already it grows dark.'  'Take the lantern of My Word,'  He whispered,  'That will be light enough.'  We climbed.  The road was narrow and steep, but the way was bright.  And when the thorns reached out, they found His hand before they touched my own.  And when my path grew rough, I knew it was His love that kept my feet from stumbling.  Then I grew very tired.  'I can go no further, Lord,'  I said.  He answered,  'Night is gone.  Look up, my child.'  I looked, and it was dawn.  Green valleys stretched below.  'I can go on alone now,'  I said . . . and then I saw the marks:  'Lord, Thou art wounded.  Thy hands are bleeding, Thy feet bruised.  Was it for me?'  He whispered,  'I did it gladly.'  Then I fell at His feet.  'Lord, lead me on,'  I cried,  'No road too long, no valley too deep, if Thou art with me.'  We walk together now, and shall forever!"


No comments:

Post a Comment