Monday, July 20, 2015

Just A Minute Too Late

Come, sit, and enjoy a cup of tea or coffee in the comfort of the Lord:  "Let all bitterness, and wrath, and anger, and clamour, and evil speaking be put away from you, with all malice."  Ephesians  4:31

                      "And while they went to buy, the bridegroom came."  Matthew  25:10

     Ten virgins knew the bridegroom was coming.  Five of them were prepared, while the five foolish virgins were not ready; they had not expected him so soon.  Great was their loss when the bridegroom suddenly came and left them outside.  They had good intention, but failed to act in time.  They had no excuse.  So many an opportunity is lost by not being ready.

     It was the first week in June and I knew my bees would swarm on one of those warm days.  I did not have a hive box ready for this eventuality.  I sincerely intended to take a half-hour some day and nail together some brood frame with foundation, as the new home for the coming swarm.  "I'll do it this evening,"  I said to myself.  When I returned from the office I saw the swarm had emerged and was hanging on a branch in the apple tree.  Frantically I ran to the barn to quickly assemble the parts of the new hive:  nailing ten frames together and inserting the sheets of wax foundation.  Just as I finished and was putting the cover on, I heard a telltale roar and saw the swarm disintegrating and flying away to parts unknown.  Before I could place the hive, get a step-ladder to cut down the branch on which they had clustered, they were gone - forever.  Frustrated I stood and murmured,  "There goes fifty pounds of honey."  It was too late!  Immediately the Scripture came to mind,  "And while they went to buy, the bridegroom came."

     Jesus Christ is coming again - it may be at any moment.  What remorse there will be for those who were warned again and again but stopped short of preparing themselves.  I waited just a little too long, and lost my bees.  That is trivial; but think of the loss for those who procrastinate and wait to prepare to meet God - until - just a moment too late!  "Be ye ready" therefore!

"Bread For Each Day"




No comments:

Post a Comment