Thursday, May 14, 2015

Short-Weight Scales

Come, sit, and enjoy a cup of tea or coffee in the comfort of the Lord:  "Let all bitterness, and wrath, and anger, and clamour, and evil speaking be put away from you, with all malice."  Ephesians  4:31

           "Divers weights are an abomination unto the Lord; and a false balance is not good."  
                                                                                                                      Proverbs  20:23

     Cheating is sin and is severely condemned in the Scriptures.  So common is the practice of "snitching" a little here and a little there, that the government maintains a large force of men to inspect the scales of merchants and shopkeepers, to see that they conform to the requirements of the U.S. Department of Standard Weights and Measures.

     Many a man would not think of robbing a bank or stealing a dollar outright, but will think nothing of being a "sharper" in business and driving a hard bargain or being guilty of short weight or measure.  It costs the government millions of dollars to keep an eye on the "chiselers."  In the eyes of God stealing is stealing, no matter what form it takes.  Honesty is one of the surest tests of character.

     A certain grocer said to one of his former customers before a group of friends,  "Mary, I don't believe you are saved and I am going to ask these people to pray for your salvation.  I am greatly burdened for you." Mary was shocked and asked why the grocer thought she wasn't saved.  He replied,  "If you were, you would not try to cheat me on the butter you sell me.  For several weeks now I have detected that every pound of your butter is two ounces short."  Mary thought for a minute and then said,  "Oh, I know why that is.  Several weeks ago I lost my pound weight - and I have been using for a weight instead, a one-pound bag of sugar which I purchased from you!"  Deep silence - and a red-faced grocer!

     Can all your business dealing stand inspection?  Jesus said,  "He that is unjust in that which is least is unjust also in much."

"Bread For Each Day"




No comments:

Post a Comment