Wednesday, May 13, 2015

Do What You Can

Come, sit, and enjoy a cup of tea or coffee in the comfort of the Lord:  "Let all bitterness, and wrath, and anger, and clamour, and evil speaking be put away from you, with all malice."  Ephesians  4:31

                                           "She hath done what she could."  Mark  14:8

     Mary of Bethany had just shown her love for Jesus by anointing Him with precious ointment.  Some objected to her actions, but Jesus commends her and sets her up as an example for us to follow.  Each must give in his own way the best he has!  Someone has rightly said,  "I am only one, but I am one, I cannot do everything, but I can do something.  That which I can do, I ought to do, and by the grace of God I will do!"

     To every Christian, God has given some task whereby he may glorify the Savior.  D. L. Moody tells a story that illustrates this truth:  A passenger crossing the Atlantic was sent to his bunk during a storm because he was terribly distressed by seasickness.  A cry of "man overboard" was heard.  "May God help the poor fellow, but there is nothing I can do the way I feel,"  said the sick passenger.  Then he thought to himself, "Wait, there is something I can do; I can at least put my lantern in the porthole."  He struggled to his feet and hung the light so it shone out into the darkness.  The man who was drowning was rescued, and in recounting the story the next day said,  "I was going down for the last time when someone put a light in a porthole.  It shone on my hand, and a sailor in a lifeboat grabbed it and pulled me in!"

     Everyone holding forth his own light, or using his one talent, no matter how small, will help accomplish God's purpose on this earth, and will thus glorify the Savior.  What a joy it will be when the Master looks into our eyes in that future day and with a loving smile of approval says,  "Good and faithful servant, you did what you could - enter now into the joy of the Lord!

"Bread For Each Day"


No comments:

Post a Comment