Friday, April 10, 2015

Keep Looking Up!

Come, sit, and enjoy a cup of tea or coffee in the comfort of the Lord:  "Let all bitterness, and wrath, and anger, and clamour, and evil speaking be put away from you, with all malice."  Ephesians  4:31

                                                    ". . . I . . . will look up."   Psalm  5:3

     Robert C. McQuilkin used to tell of a young Christian who lacked assurance of salvation even though she had trusted Christ and said she had "surrendered and believed a thousand times."  Hopeless and in darkness about it all, she told an older Christian woman of her difficulty.  "Well,"  said this elderly saint,  "just stop doing or trying to do anything, and trust the Lord to do it all."  "I have done that a hundred times,"  was the discouraged answer.  The defeated one seemed to have no will to do anything, and yet she was hungry for victory and peace.  The older woman tried again.  "If you do nothing else, just lift your heart to Christ."  "I can't even do that - my heart is too heavy to lift up,"  said the troubled one.  "Well, one thing you can do, for it is just a physical act.  You can lift up your eyes.  Will you do that?"  The younger woman promised that she would, and on the way home she kept them directed upward as unto Him.  Not much later she gave the following testimony with a radiant face:  "I lifted up my eyes, and my heart went up with them!  Today I am rejoicing in the Lord!"  Brother McQuilkin appended this application:  "The victorious life is just as gloriously simple as that - just looking up - unto Jesus - and then keep on looking!"

     As you climb he steep ascent of life, looking down will only make you dizzy and despairing.  Put your hand into the nail-scarred palm of the One who said,  "Him that cometh to me I will in now wise cast out"  (John  6:37);  Look up, and you won't lose your spiritual balance!

"Bread For Each Day"


No comments:

Post a Comment