Tuesday, April 21, 2015

Do You Talk To Yourself?

Come, sit, and enjoy a cup of tea or coffee in the comfort of the Lord:  "Let all bitterness, and wrath, and anger, and clamour, and evil speaking be put away from you, with all malice."  Ephesians  4:31

                              "And when he came to himself, he said . . ."  Luke  15:17

     Sitting in my car at the curb, waiting for the good spouse to purchase a pair of stockings, I entertained myself by watching the faces of people walking by, to observe the various emotions written on their faces. When people think nobody is looking, they will usually reveal their inmost thoughts by the expression on their faces.  As the various ones passed by, I saw registered upon their faces happiness, sorrow, anxiety, fear, anticipation, determination, etc., etc.  But one man in particular drew my attention, for he was deeply engrossed in talking to himself.  He was so absorbed in his conversation that he bumped into another pedestrian.  As he neared our car I could hear him mumbling.  What he said I don't know, but it surely was a serious discussion.  He was both a good conversationalist and a good listener.  He reminded me of "Mose," who being asked why he always talked to himself, replied,  "I have two reason:  firstly, I like to hear a smart man talk, and secondly, I like to talk to a smart man!"

     What do people talk about to themselves?  It is either good or bad.  The rich man in Luke 12:16-21 talked to himself about his riches and God called him a fool!  The prodigal son in Luke 15 was talking to himself about his poverty, and resolved to seek the better riches of his father's house.

     When you talk to yourself you are simply thinking out loud.  Your private conversation reveals what is in your heart.  A man is what he thinks!  If his thoughts are evil, he will be evil.  If his thoughts are pure, his life will be pure.

     "Whatsoever things are true, honest, just pure, lovely, of good report, if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things"  (Philippians  4:8).

"Bread For Each Day"


No comments:

Post a Comment