Tuesday, December 30, 2014

The Seeing Eye

Come, sit, and enjoy a cup of tea or coffee in the comfort of the Lord.  "Let all bitterness and wrath and anger and clamour and evil speaking be put away from you with all malice."  Ephesians  4:31

                                          "... he will guide you into all truth."    John  16:13

     I am sitting before an open window in the fourth floor of the Yorktowne Hotel in York, Pennsylvania.  It is the busy hour of the day and the traffic is roaring on the street below, with horns blowing and policemen whistling.  I am impressed with the dangers of the city life.  Every one of those people on the street is in danger every moment.  One thoughtless moment, one second lapse in vigilance and - crash!  A child dashing from behind a car, a blowout, failing brakes, and a hundred other hazards put the lives of men and women in jeopardy.

     My attention is drawn to one man in particular - a pedestrian.  His eyes are shielded by dark glasses and his left hand firmly grasps the harness on the shoulders of a beautiful dog.  The man is blind but he has two eyes and ears better than his own to aid him.  The dog is of the "seeing eye" variety - carefully trained to take his master safely through the busiest traffic.  I am amazed at the calmness of the guide.  With his tongue hanging, he is the very picture of composure.  He is not excited.  He does not wait for a chance to dash across between the cars.  Without a sign of nervousness he leads his master to the curb and  STOPS.  He waits with eyes and ears attent.  When all is clear he quietly and safely guides the man across.  They pass out of sight as I take my pen to write it up for you in the devotional, and I murmur to myself,  "That man is safer than anyone else in the street, for he walks by faith in his guide."  He trusts the "seeing eye."  Solomon says, "The hearing ear and the seeing eye, the Lord hath made both of them."  Oh God, help me to calmly trust the Holy Spirit, the Faithful Guide and my  "Seeing Eye,"  as calmly, yea more calmly, than that blind man on the street.  For his dog may fail, but the Holy Spirit never!  O teach me to trust and to walk by faith amid the traffic of this life.  Thank You for the promise:  "I will guide thee with mine eye."

"Bread For Each Day"



No comments:

Post a Comment