Saturday, September 17, 2016

If I belittle.....

Come, sit, and enjoy a cup of tea or coffee in the comfort of the Lord:  "Let all bitterness, and wrath, and anger, and clamour, and evil speaking be put away from you, with all malice."  Ephesians  4:31

        "Consider what a great forest is set on fire by a small spark.  The tongue also is a fire."
                                                                                                                       James  3:5-6

     If, in any way, I belittle those who I am called to serve...
     if I talk of their weak points in contrast, perhaps, with what I think of as my stronger points...
     if I adopt a superior attitude, forgetting to consider the wisdom of the voice that asks me, inwardly,  "Who made you different from the one you are criticizing - and what do you have that you have not been given?"
     if I can easily discuss the shortcomings of the sins of any man or woman...
     if I can speak in an offhanded way, even of a child's wrongdoing....then I know nothing of Calvary love.

My Father, how often do my words "singe" someone else?  (And how much time do I spend thinking critically about another - so that nothing but words that singe come out?)
     Today, Lord, work in me.  Change the thought-life in me when I strip others of dignity...or reduce them point by point...in order to build myself up.
     And give me your voice, to speak words of value...admiration...encouragement...compassion...true kindness.

Amy  Charmichael


No comments:

Post a Comment