Saturday, June 13, 2015

Romans Eight Twenty-Eight

Come, sit, and enjoy a cup of tea or coffee in the comfort of the Lord:  "Let all bitterness, and wrath, and anger, and clamour, and evil speaking be put away from you, with all malice."  Ephesians  4:31

              ". . .  all things work together for good to them that love God."   Romans  8:28

     Fanny Crosby in her autobiography comments concerning the doctor who unwittingly caused her blindness as follows:  "I have heard that this physician never ceased expressing his regret at the occurrence; and that it was one of the sorrows of his life.  But if I could meet him now, I would say,  "Thank you, thank you, over and over again for making me blind.' . . .  Although it may have been a blunder on the physician's part, it was no mistake on God's.  I verily believe it was his intention that I should live my days in physical darkness, so as to be better prepared to sing His praises and incite other to do so."  Thus by a doctor's apparent mistake, God gave to the Church the wonderful heritage of a blind Fanny Crosby who, with her increased spiritual insight, was able to write thousands of enduring hymns.

     A visitor once went to see an old lady who had very few earthly possessions - just a bed, an old chair, a table, a stool, and cupboard.  After a little while the guest asked,  "Do you never feel like murmuring at your difficult lot?"  "Well, sometimes satan does tempt me to complain, but then I just ask the Lord to put me into my easy chair, and to keep me quiet."  The visitor looked around to see what she could mean, but all he saw was the hard stool and the broken armchair.  "I don't see any easy place for you to sit," he said.  "No, you misunderstand me,"  said the precious old saint.  "My easy chair is Romans 8:28.  It is always close by. When I need it the Lord just sets me into it, and I am at rest and say to satan,  'Now, you be quiet!'"

     Someone has said that in eternity we will probably thank God more the for difficulties of this earthly life than for some of the experiences that we now consider to be pleasant and desirable.

     Stop sitting on the edge of the stool of worry; go and relax in the restful rocker of Romans 8:28

"Bread For Each Day"


No comments:

Post a Comment