Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Perfectly Contented

Come, sit, and enjoy a cup of tea or coffee in the comfort of the Lord:  "Let all bitterness, and wrath, and anger, and clamour, and evil speaking be put away from you, with all malice."  Ephesians  4:31

                           ". . . be content with such things as ye have."    Hebrews  13:5

     A certain evaporated milk has for its slogan,  "From contented cows," and illustrates it with a beautiful picture of a herd of cattle, lying in a luxurious pasture contentedly chewing their cud.  These are contented cows because they are satisfied.  They wish for nothing more.  This morning as I sat in my study I saw another picture of contentment.  It is a dreary, dark day and it is raining.  I watched a fat robin pull three worms from the grass, and then fly up to the telephone wire just outside my window.  And there, ten feet from me, I imagined he gave me a knowing wink and began to sing.  For a full half-hour I sat and enjoyed the robin's rendition of "Praise ye the Lord."  He was content.  He was satisfied with what the Heavenly Father had provided, and did not worry about tomorrow.  He was singing in the rain!

     The robin did not complain about the color or size of the worms, but was satisfied with what he found.  Have you ever heard a robin grumble?  Of course not!  Then why do we?  A little girl whose father was a chronic grumbler said to her mother,  "I know what everybody likes in this family.  Johnny likes hamburgers, Janie likes ice cream, Willie likes bananas, and mommy likes chicken."  Irked because he had not been included in the list, the father grumblingly asked,  "And what about me, what do I like?"  The innocent little one replied,  "You like everything we haven't got!"  Paul could say,  "I have learned in whatsoever state I am therewith to be content."  Read the rest of Hebrews 13:5 - "For He hath said, I will never leave thee, or forsake thee."  Isn't that enough to satisfy anyone?

                               Said the Robin to the Sparrow,  "I should really like to know
                                  Why these anxious human beings rush about and worry so!"
                               Said the Sparrow to the Robin,  "Friend, I think that it must be
                                   That they have no Heavenly Father such as cares for you and me!"
                                                                                                                         E. Cheney

"Bread For Each Day"


No comments:

Post a Comment