Thursday, February 19, 2015

Never Irritated!

Come, sit, and enjoy a cup of tea or coffee in the comfort of the Lord:  "Let all bitterness, and wrath, and anger, and clamour, and evil speaking be put away from you, with all malice."  Ephesians  4:31

                                         "Love....is not provoked."  1 Corinthians  13:5

     We are told that this verse is not accurately translated.  Actually the word "easily" appears nowhere in the original.  Literally the passage read,  "(Love). . . is not touchy, or fretful, or resentful."  In other words; the love of God in our heart should keep us from becoming "exasperated."  Christians should be able to ignore the pinpricks of life and keep from irritableness and temper tantrums even in the presence of rudeness, insult, and injustice.  When we look at our own lives, however, we see how far we fall short of his ideal and how "touchy" we are.  In fact, we often dramatize to ourselves  "personal grievances,"  and consequently hold grudges against those who slight us, or hurt us with snide remarks.  Yet if we truly have the love of Jesus in our heart and have died to "self," we should be able to gain the victory over  "irritableness."

     D. L. Moody's son in his biography informs us that a man once grossly and deliberately insulted his father. Mr. Moody momentarily flared up in anger at the unjust attack.  Coming to the pulpit a bit later, however, he made this humble admission:  "Friends, before beginning tonight, I want to confess that out in the hall I yielded just now to my temper.  I have done wrong.  I want to confess my error before you all, and if that man is present here whom I thrust from me in anger, I want to ask his forgiveness and God's.  Let us pray." Moody's sincere apology reflected not a hint of excuse or self-vindication for the insult he had suffered.  It is said that the meeting which followed was a scene of unusual blessing because of his straight-forward, Christian confession of having been  "exasperated and angry."

     Oh, for the sweet, unruffled composure of true discipleship, for a love that is not soon provoked.  Resolve by God's grace not to be "irritated" today!

                                                    When I have talked in anger,
                                                       And my cheeks were flaming red,
                                                     I have always uttered something
                                                       Which I wish I had not said.

"Bread For Each Day"


No comments:

Post a Comment