Friday, January 30, 2015

Pharisees or Publicans?

Come, sit, and enjoy a cup of tea or coffee in the comfort of the Lord:  "Let all bitterness and wrath and anger and clamour and evil speaking be put away from you with all malice."  Ephesians  4:31

"Two men went up into the temple to pray; the one a Pharisee and the other a publican."
                                                                             Luke 18:10

     Whether we like to admit it or not, all of us are to some degree "Pharisees."  It is interesting to note that the prayer life of an individual is quite indicative of his spiritual stature.  If we are not humble in the presence of God Himself, then there is little hope that we will exhibit humility before men.

     You remember that the Pharisee said in his prayer,  "I fast, I pray, I give tithes."  Those with humble and contrite hearts do not address God in that manner.  Recognizing their innate depravity, true saints give God first place, and put themselves in the background.

     A poor Hottnetot in South Africa visited with a Hollander who always had daily, family devotions.  On this occasion the Dutchman selected the story of the Pharisee and the publican.  The poor savage, whose heart was already awakened, looked earnestly at the reader as he intoned,  "God, I thank Thee that I am not as other men."  "No, I am not but I am worse," whispered the poor savage.  The man read on,  "I fast twice in the week, I give tithes of all that I possess."  "I don't do that; I don't pray in that manner.  What shall I do?" whispered the distressed Hottentot.  Finally they came to the part of the publican who  "would not lift up so much as his eyes unto heaven."  "That's me!"  said the dark-skinned hearer.  "Standing afar off,"  read the other.  "That's where I am,"  said the native.  "But smote upon his breast, saying God be merciful to me a sinner."  "That's me; that's my prayer!"  cried the poor creature, and beating on his breast, he repeated the prayer,  "God be merciful to me a sinner."  Like the publican, he too went down to his own house that day a saved and happy man.

     How much of the Pharisee is still left in you and me?  How much of the publican?

"Bread For Each Day"


No comments:

Post a Comment