Saturday, March 12, 2016

One Talent

Come, sit, and enjoy a cup of tea or coffee in the comfort of the Lord:  "Let all bitterness, and wrath, and anger, and clamour, and evil speaking be put away from you, with all malice."  Ephesians  4:31

"And unto one he gave five talents, to another two, and to another one; to every man according to his several ability."   Matthew  25:15

     A prominent businessman in America once wrote concerning the then obscure evangelist Dwight L. Moody:  "The first time I ever saw him was in a little shanty that had been abandoned by a saloon keeper.  He had managed to get possession of the place in order to hold a meeting that night.  I was a little late and I had never met Mr. Moody, but when I came in, the first thing I saw was a heavy-set man standing up holding a small Negro boy in his arms.  By the light of a few tallow candles he was trying to read to him the story of the Prodigal Son.  A great many of the words he could not make out and so he had to skip them.  I thought,  if the Lord can ever use such an instrument as that for His honor and glory, it will certainly astonish me!  After  the meeting was over, the man, who turned out to be Mr. Moody, said to me,  'Mr. Reynolds, I have only one talent; I have no education, but I love the Lord Jesus Christ.  I want to do something for Him.  Pray for me.'"  Mr. Reynolds said that from that day on he never ceased to remember before the Throne of Grace that devoted soldier of the cross who said he had only one talent:  "a deep love for the Lord Jesus Christ."

     At a mission hall in London a lady who was quite deaf met an evangelist who was to speak that evening.  Her cordiality and Christian character impressed him.  "And what part do you take in this noble work?"  he asked.  "Oh,"  she answered,  "I smile them in, and I smile them out again."  Soon afterward the preacher had opportunity to see the good results of her sympathy as a large crowd of working men entered the hall, apparently delighted to get a warm smile of Christian welcome from her.  She too had the "one talent" which she put to good use.  There's no Christian, no matter how few his gifts, who cannot put this "one talent of love" to work for the Saviour.

"Bread For Each Day"


No comments:

Post a Comment