Saturday, February 6, 2016

What Do You Remember?

Come, sit, and enjoy a cup of tea or coffee in the comfort of the Lord:  "Let all bitterness, and wrath, and anger, and clamour, and evil speaking be put away from you, with all malice."  Ephesians  4:31

                              " . . . I do remember my faults this day."   Genesis  41:9

     This is the statement of the butler whose dream had been interpreted by Joseph while they were in the prison in Egypt.  Joseph requested that he (the butler) would remember him and mention him to Pharaoh upon his release  (Genesis 41:14).  But the butler soon forgot  (Genesis 40:23).  And now, when Pharaoh was unable to find an interpreter for his dream, the butler suddenly remembered what Joseph had done for him, and exclaims,   "I do remember my faults this day."  What base ingratitude - to forget so soon his benefactor.  He gave no excuses but confessed it was his fault.  Probably the hardest thing in all the world to do is admit our faults.  Instead we defend, deny, or excuse them.  The three hardest words to say are,  ""I was wrong."  It is not so hard to say,  "You were right,"  as to turn the point to ourselves,  "I was wrong." How easy to see another's faults - how difficult our own.

     A Christian heard that one of his brethren had been talking against him.  Instead of trying to "get even," he went to his brother and said,  "I understand you have been talking against me and told about my faults.  I want you to tell me to my face what you see wrong in me, for I want to know so I can confess them and get rid of them."  The brother agreed to frankly tell him.  "But first,"  said the first man,  "we will get down and pray about it.  I want you to pray for me, that I may accept your criticism, see my faults, and be delivered from them.  Pray for me, brother."  The rebuke found its mark and the man dropped to his knees and cried out to God to forgive him his own sin of gossiping and slander.  Arising to his feet he said,  "If I had prayed first, instead of now, this would never have happened.  Forgive me brother."  Before you talk to others about your brother, first talk to Father about it.   Will you do that?  Then, like the butler, you will remember your own faults - not others.

"Bread For Each Day"


No comments:

Post a Comment