Sunday, January 3, 2016

Little Acts Of Love

Come, sit, and enjoy a cup of tea or coffee in the comfort of the Lord:  "Let all bitterness, and wrath, and anger, and clamour, and evil speaking, be put away from you, with all malice."  Ephesians  4:31


             " . . . ye yourselves are taught of God to love one another."  1 Thessalonians  4:9

     True love reveals itself not so much in a great outward show of emotion, but rather in a thousand small acts of devotion and consideration.  It is by these that we manifest our true colors and display our real attitudes.

     When I was a little boy about three and a half years of age, I knew that my father was extremely fond of black walnuts.  We did not often get them, so when I found one upon the street I was delighted!  My first thought was to have my mother crack it so that I could eat it myself, but then my great love for father took over.  I saved it until he came home that evening.  It was my custom to wait until I saw him come around the corner and then - rush to meet him.  I would throw my small arms around his one leg and thus, standing on his foot, would be swung along with his powerful stride until we got home.  All the way he would be patting my head and smiling and talking to me.  This night I presented him with the walnut and said,  "Here, Papa, I've been saving it all day - just for you!"  I thought it very strange that he did not want to crack it and eat it, and it was not until 30 years later that I found it again after he had left us for the heavenly mansions.  It was in a place by itself in his desk.  Mother told me he considered it such a deep token of my affection for him that he wanted to keep it as a memento.

     Don't delay performing even the smallest act of love today; believe me, it is sorely needed and will be much appreciated.  What is more, it will be richly rewarded by the Lord.  Do not keep the alabaster boxes of  your love and tenderness sealed up until your friends and loved ones are dead.  Fill their lives with sweetness now.  By the power of the Holy Spirit, let us exchange our self-centered attitudes for heartfelt words and deeds which will manifest that we love our family and friends "with a pure heart fervently"!  (1 Peter  1:22).

"Bread For Each Day"


No comments:

Post a Comment